•  One of the oldest restaurants in Finland
  • The grand colonnade was built in 1836 according to the designs of architect P. Gylich and in the beginning it provided facilities for fishermen and sailors
  • The Pinella park café opened in 1848
  • Pinella is named after its first owner, Italian born architect Nils Henrik Pinello
  • The park café was moved to its current location in 1863, when a statue of H.G. Porthan was raised in the park
  • In the 1870’s the café was enlarged to its current extent according to designs of architect G. Chiewitz
  • Pinella goes a long way back as a scene for art and culture and at the end of the 19th century it became a popular venue for writers, painters and bohemians. Among the regulars at the time you would find prominent Finnish cultural personalities, like writers Z. Topelius, E. Lönnrot, J.L. Runeberg, painter R. Ekman and sculptor C. Sjöstrand
  • In the 20th century the Turku painters gathered at Pinella and from 1951 to 1968 the restaurant was run by the Turku Club of Artists
  • During the prohibition from 1919 to 1932 a spirit supply was placed by the colonnade
  • From 1937 into the 1970’s a Gulf service station operated by the colonnade
  • In 1973 the colonnade and the cellar facilities were refurbished into a gourmet restaurant
  • In the 1970’s the terrace by the river bank was the first licensed street restaurant in Finland
  • The restaurant closed down in 2004, the buildings suffering from severe decay
  • In the summer of 2010 the Turku Museum Center executed the largest archeological excavations i the region under the direction of Aki Pihlman
  • 600 cubic metres of soil was moved during the excavation
  • The oldest archeological artifacts found were dated back to the 14th century
  • The original wallpaper of the café building was rediscovered under ten layers of wallpaper
  • Pinella was reopened in March 2011
  • The renovation was executed according to a project plan approved by the city of Turku
  • The renovation work was planned and executed by Sunborn Oy under the direction of project manager Hans Niemi
  • The costs of the renovation project were about 3 Million euros, of which the archaeological excavations took 0.5 Million